[R] Smoothing Techniques - short stepwise functions with spikes

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:46:45 CEST 2010

This removes runs of length 1 and 2.   It replaces the values in any
such run with NA and then uses na.locf from the zoo package to fill
those NA's by carrying forward the last occurrence of a non-NA.  In
this example the run consisting of a single 2, the run consisting of
two 3's and the run consisting of a single 4 are removed:

> library(zoo) # na.locf
> x <- rep(c(1,2,1,3,1,4,3), c(4,1,5,2,6,1,5)); x
 [1] 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 3 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 4 3 3 3 3 3
> r <- rle(x)
> r$values<- na.locf(ifelse(r$lengths <= 2, NA, r$values))
> inverse.rle(r)
 [1] 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 3 3 3 3