[R] median of two groups

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue May 11 22:47:12 CEST 2010

Here is a simple example of a permutation test on medians without pairing and different numbers of subjects in each group:

sw <- iris$Sepal.Width[ c(101:130, 51:70) ]
group <- rep( 1:2, c(30,20) )

out <- replicate( 1999, { tmp <- sample(group);
	median(sw[tmp==1]) - median(sw[tmp==2]) } )

out <- c( median(sw[group==1]) - median(sw[group==2]), out )
hist(out)
abline(v=out[1], col='red')
mean( out >= out[1] )

Hope this helps,