[R] compiling an R script

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed May 12 15:20:09 CEST 2010

On 12/05/2010 8:34 AM, Jean-Christophe Domenge wrote:
> Dear R gurus,
> some guy at my company would like to compile a script written in R.
> In short he would like to create an execution directory containing only
> binaries
> resulting from the compilation of R and C++ sources, while
> keeping the said sources on another machine.

He needs to write a new front end.  The front end should have the script
compiled into it, then after initializing R,
it should parse and execute the script.

The executable won't be self-contained.  Normally R is compiled into
several dynamic libraries (.dlls on Windows); it may be possible to
compile it statically.  However, R relies on its own library directory
containing installed versions of packages.  As far as I know there is no
way to avoid using that.

By the way, your guy shouldn't expect any support on doing this in the
R-help list; it's a topic for the R-devel list.  And he may not get much
sympathy there:  R is an open source project, and developing ways to
hide code is not something that interests most of us.

Duncan Murdoch