[R] a question about "latex" in Hmisc

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed May 12 22:40:50 CEST 2010

On 12/05/2010 4:33 PM, Shi, Tao wrote:
> Hi Ista,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> You actually misunderstood me.  I never objected the "tmp <- latex(x)" method (in fact, that's what I'm doing now in my .Rnw file).  As I stated in my original post, I'm simply curious about what causes the error window and wanted to get to the bottom of it.

latex(x) returns an object of class "latex".  When you don't assign it,
it prints.  The print method for "latex" objects tries to run latex and
then display the resulting .dvi file.  (Or maybe it runs pdflatex and
displays the .pdf file).

If you can't run latex, you can't print those objects.  That's why
you're getting an error.

Duncan Murdoch