[R] Boxplot position on X-axis relative to it's value

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Thu May 13 03:15:04 CEST 2010

Dennis, this works for me:

xyplot(nmgml ~ day, data = girafe, horizontal = FALSE,
        panel = function(...) {
          panel.bwplot(...)
          panel.average(..., fun = median, col.line = 'gray30')
         }
  )

On 13 May 2010 06:29, Dennis Murphy <djmuser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Here are a couple of ways to superimpose the boxplots with a line, using
> lattice and latticeExtra.
> Notice that the boxplots are located at the observed x values - the idea
> comes straight out of the
> example on p. 183 of the Lattice book.
>
> library(lattice)
> library(latticeExtra)
>
> # Connect the medians
> xyplot(nmgml ~ day, data = girafe,
>       panel = panel.bwplot, horizontal = FALSE) +
>  layer(panel.average(..., fun = median, col.line = 'gray30'))
>
> # Least squares regression line
> xyplot(nmgml ~ day, data = girafe,
>       panel = panel.bwplot, horizontal = FALSE) +
>       layer(panel.lmline(...))
>
> Caution: be careful if you have the ggplot2 package loaded, because the
> layer function
> in ggplot2 can mask the layer function in latticeExtra.
>
> ------------
> Aside:
> I couldn't figure out how to get the horizontal = FALSE argument to work
> within a
> single panel function that contains both panel.bwplot and panel.average. I
> tried
>
> xyplot(nmgml ~ day, data = girafe,
>         panel = function(...) {
>           panel.bwplot(..., horizontal = FALSE)
>           panel.average(..., fun = median, col.line = 'gray30')
>          }
>   )
>
> and a couple of variants thereof but couldn't get it to work. If there's an
> easy
> solution, I'd be interested in seeing it.
>

> HTH,
> Dennis
>
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Mächler Marc Jaques
> <marcm at student.ethz.ch>wrote:
>
>> Dear R-Experts.
>>
>> I collected different datas about Nitrogen content (mg/ml) in Dung. The
>> dung was eighter fresh (day=0) or had different ages (15,29,47) to observe
>> nutrient changes over time.
>>
>> Now I like to draw a boxplot.
>>
>> boxplot(nmgml~day)
>> abline((nmgml~day)
>>
>> The Problem is, that the boxplot considers the day values as groups and not
>> as time series (neighter when the days are numeric or factors).
>>
>> The result is, that the regression line looks different as when I draw a
>>  plot
>> plot(nmgml~day)
>> abline(nmgml~day)
>>
>> How can I reach that the boxplot's position on the x-axis is relative to
>> the time value? (and the days are not just treated as groups)
>>
>> Data sample (Girafe-Dung)
>>   day   nmgml
>> 1   29 2.72655
>> 2   29 2.48820
>> 3   15 2.85945
>> 4   15 2.58915
>> 5   15 2.88345
>> 6   15 2.66675
>> 7   47 3.29125
>> 8   15 2.44085
>> 9   29 2.43065
> [...]

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Postdoctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 4670