[R] Compiling R with --enable-R-shlib for rpy2 error

Padma TAN tanwp at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Thu May 13 11:45:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to compile R with the command below in order to install rpy2.

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/R/R-2.9.2 --with-gnu-ld --with-cairo
--with-x --enable-R-shlib

However, error the I have gotten was:
/usr/bin/ld: CConverters.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against `R_FunTab' can
not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
CConverters.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libR.so] Error 1

I don't really understand the error message. Is there anything I can change
to compile properly so that I can install rpy2?

Please help. Thanks in advance! :)

Regards,
Padma