[R] SAS for R-users

Thomas Levine thomas.levine at gmail.com
Fri May 14 14:33:37 CEST 2010

There are loads of resources for users of any other
statistics package who are learning R. For example

http://www.google.com/search?q="r+for+sas-users"

The reverse isn't the case

http://www.google.com/search?q="sas+for+r-users"

Having heard rumors of how unelegant other statistics
packages are, I don't see why any R-user would
ever want to switch to anything else. That said,
users of other statistics packages will sometimes
make R-users switch to their statistics packages.

The only resources I've found for R-users learning
SAS are still intended for SAS-users learning R.

http://sas-and-r.blogspot.com
http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/the-books/r4sas-spss

Bob Muenchen says that 'Ralph O’Brien says that
in a few years there will be so many students
graduating knowing mainly R that [he]’ll need to
write, “SAS for R Users.” That’ll be the day!'

I can't wait that long. Until then and until I can
convince colleagues and teachers to use better
software, how do you suggest that I learn SAS?
I suspect that it'll be a book on R for SAS-users,
so I'm expecting recommendations of books like
those that are best for R-users learning SAS.

This question would be more appropriate for a
SAS mailing list, I couldn't find any except for
those of a few regional groups.

Thanks

Tom