[R] multhist,labels and percentages

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 14 17:51:22 CEST 2010

On 14 May 2010, at 16:09, Thomas Stewart wrote:

> Please be more specific with your question.  Perhaps a simple subset of the data you are trying to plot?  Here is some non-specific advice:
>
> Plotting histograms as percentages instead of frequency counts is already an option of the hist function.  For example,
>
> pop1<-rnorm(100)
> hist(pop1,freq=F)

What you get is a desity, not a percentage, so you could have two bars with a value greater 0.5 on the y-axis. The fact that the area sums up to 1 does not mean that the sum of the heights adds up to 1 --the thing that my ignoramus want to see to understand. On the other hand, freq =T gives the counts, and the sum of the counts is the population total -- therefore (bar counts)/(pop total) *100  is the precentage. If I could slap that on the label of the y-axis I'd be sorted.

> If you are plotting two histograms side-by-side (on the percentage scale), the y-axis of both plots can be set with the ylim option.  For example,
>
> par(mfrow=c(1,2))
> pop1<-rnorm(100)
> hist(pop1,freq=F,ylim=c(0,1))
> pop2<-rgamma(100,1,1)
> hist(pop2,freq=F,ylim=c(0,1))

I'm using multhist(). The above would not work for me.