[R] barplot: invalid 'xlim' value

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sat May 15 19:27:06 CEST 2010

Hello,

It could be my email client (gmail), but I had an error when trying to
paste your data in.  Anyway to answer part of your question

> # Draw the histograms
>        for (i in 1:length(ages)){
>                par(new = TRUE)
>                xmin <- -ages[i] + xlim[1]

I think your problem here might be that you have -ages[i] + xlim[1],
or more clearly
xmin <- xlim[1] - ages[i]
My guess is that this is a typo that hides easily because of the
assignment operator.  That would explain why it keeps decreasing.

>                xmax <- xlim[2] - ages[i]
>                ser <- freqs[, i+1]
>                ser <- ser/max(ser) * barscale
>                barplot(ser, horiz = TRUE, axes = FALSE, xlim = c(xmin, xmax),
>            ylim = ylim, col = barcol, space = 0)
>        }

Best,

Josh