[R] Discretize factors?

Noah Silverman noah at smartmediacorp.com
Sun May 16 19:06:35 CEST 2010

Update,

I have it working, but now its producing really ugly labels.  Must be a
small adjustment to the code.  Any ideas??

##Create example data.frame
group <- c("A", "B","B","C","C","C")
a <- c(1,4,3,4,5,6)
b <- c(5,4,5,3,4,5)
d <- data.frame(cbind(a,b,group))

#create new frame with discretized group
>cbind(d[,1:2], model.matrix(~0+d[,3]) )
  a b d[, 3]A d[, 3]B d[, 3]C
1 1 5       1       0       0
2 4 4       0       1       0
3 3 5       0       1       0
4 4 3       0       0       1
5 5 4       0       0       1
6 6 5       0       0       1

So, as you can see, it works, but the labels for the groups don't

I then tried using the column name instead of number and still got ugly
results:

> cbind(d[,1:2], model.matrix(~0+d[,"group"]) )
  a b d[, "group"]A d[, "group"]B d[, "group"]C
1 1 5             1             0             0
2 4 4             0             1             0
3 3 5             0             1             0
4 4 3             0             0             1
5 5 4             0             0             1
6 6 5             0             0             1

Any ideas?

-N