[R] bwplot in loop

GL pflugg at shands.ufl.edu
Mon May 17 19:36:24 CEST 2010

I have the two loops listed below. The first executes perfectly and creates a
series of density plots. The second does not produce any output, however, if
I enter the exact bwplot command after the loop executes, I get output for
the last value in the list of services. Why am I not getting output for
bwplot inside the loop?

#INSIDE LOOP PERFECT OUTPUT - ONE FOR EACH SERVICE
for (Service in Service.Levels) {
     dbs1 <- subset( dbs,Service.Code == Service)
        if(nrow(dbs1) >2)  {
           plot(density(dbs1$Enter.to.Incision))
}}

#INSIDE LOOP NO OUTPUT
for (Service in Service.Levels) {
     dbs1 <- subset( dbs,Service.Code == Service)
           bwplot(M.Surg..Last.Name ~ Enter.to.Incision , data=dbs1)
}

#AFTER LOOP AS SINGLE STATEMENT  - PERFECT OUTPUT FOR LAST SERVICE IN LIST
bwplot(M.Surg..Last.Name ~ Enter.to.Incision , data=dbs1)