[R] issues with R Library on a Server

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue May 18 09:36:00 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Daisy Englert Duursma
<daisy.duursma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a bit over my head on this issue. My colleagues and I are running
> R off of our server. We all have admin rights and prior to yesterday
> we all had our own libraries. Our main system administrator advised us
> that we should have a shared library. So, I am trying to do this.
>
>  I have downloaded the latest version of R and installed it on the
> main drive of our server in the  "Program Files" folder (obvious
> enough).
>
> I changed the Environmental Variables in the advanced system setting
> so R_LIBS  is C:\\RLIBRARY and restarted the server.
>
> The command : .libPaths()[1] results in
> [1] "C:\\RLIBRARY"
>
> When I install packages it returns the message :The downloaded packages are in
>        C:\Users\Daisy
> Englert\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Rtmp9FxLip\downloaded_packages
>
> ** This is bad because I though they should go to C:\\RLIBRARY (I think)
>
> Thus the following code does not work:
>
> library(nnet)
> Error in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) :
>  internal error -3 in R_decompress1
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'nnet'
>

> My questions are:
>
> Why are the packages downloading to the above location?

That is where R *downloads* the package files (for temporary storage),
but it is not where they are installed.  By default, they are
installed in the (first possible, I think) path of .libPaths().

You can see the installation path by, for instance,

packageDescription("base");

and

packageDescription("nnet");

> What is the next step(s) I should take to setting up the server correctly.

>From the error message above, you might experience a particular issue
with the 'nnet' package.  Try to install another package and see if
that works.

My $.02

/Henrik