[R] x y plot with z coordinate scaling to a color value

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed May 19 12:49:22 CEST 2010

Hi Jannis,

You can have a look at image(), or alternatively look at spplot. The
latter assumes that you have your data structured according to the
spatial R classes that the sp-package provides:

library(sp)
data(meuse.grid)
head(meuse.grid)
summary(meuse.grid)
# transform to sp-object
gridded(meuse.grid) = ~x+y
summary(meuse.grid)

spplot(meuse.grid, "dist")

cheers,
Paul

On 05/19/2010 12:24 PM, Jannis wrote:
> Dears,
>
> before I start programming my own function I would like to ask you whether there is any function already available that lets me plot a x/y plot with the colors of the points determined by scaling a third variable z into a defined colorramp?
>
> Until now I am using a wild combination of functions to create a colorvector by hand, then calling
>
> plot(x,y,col=colors)
>
> and then using color.legend() from plotrix to add a colorbar. Is there anything where I can just call (for example)
>
> plot(x,y,z)
>

> and get a plot and a colorbar next to it?
>
> If not I have to program that myself because my current way involves a lot of steps and readjusting plotting regions.
>

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Jannis

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography