[R] save in for loop

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Wed May 19 16:56:44 CEST 2010

Dear users,

My problem concerns save() within a for loop.
Here is my code:

for (i in 1:4) {
  temp <- data.frame(a=(i+1):(i+10), b=LETTERS[(i+1):(i+10)])
  filename <- paste("file", i, sep="")
  assign(filename, temp)
  save(filename, file=paste(filename, ".rda", sep=""))
}

As you can see, save() doesn't work as I would like: (1) the object
saved is called "filename" (instead of "file1", "file2", etc), and (2)
it of course contains only the name (as character) instead of the data.frame

How can I fix it?

I usually use lists for such cases, but (1) in the real thing, it gets
complicated with the names and structure (because I want to save lists
with 3 dimensions instead of simple data.frames, as in this example) and
(2) I prefer saving each list separately (and I cannot save only one
element of an object either).

I'm not sure I'm really clear because it's difficult for me to explain
it, but I hope you'll understand (and let me know what you would help
you to understand)

Thank you in advance
Ivan

--