[R] Svy function doesn't work nested in user-defined function

Sabatier, Jennifer F. (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) fvv9 at cdc.gov
Thu May 20 17:24:19 CEST 2010

Hi R-help,

I posted about this late yesterday but got no response. I may have put
TMI in the original request.  Not to mention I couldn't cut and paste
yesterday because I was working R off a non-network computer while
asking for help on a network computer.

Essentially, I have this user-defined function:

test <- function(X){

            	chisq <- svychisq(~X + SEX, design=audit,
statisic="adjWald", round=4)

}

test(con)

"con" is a data variable in my design object audit.

When I just run:

chisq <- svychisq(~X + SEX, design=audit, statisic="adjWald", round=4)

It works just fine.

It's only when it's nested in the function test() that it falls apart.

I get this error:

Error in `[.data.frame`(design$variables, , as.character(rows)) :
  undefined columns selected

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks,

Jen (obviously a new R-user, as of late 2009)