[R] offlist Re: Svy function doesn't work nested in user-defined function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 20 22:32:55 CEST 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Sabatier, Jennifer F. (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP)
wrote:

> Hi R-help,
>
> I posted about this late yesterday but got no response. I may have put
> TMI in the original request.  Not to mention I couldn't cut and paste
> yesterday because I was working R off a non-network computer while
> asking for help on a network computer.
>

> Essentially, I have this user-defined function:
>
> test <- function(X){
>

>            	chisq <- svychisq(~X + SEX, design=audit,

Did you really have a variable name "X" inside the object that you are
giving a temporary name of "X" to. Seems confusing if that were your
choice.

> statisic="adjWald", round=4)
>
> }
>
> test(con)

I do not know the answer, but I'm not sure that anyone including
Lumley could answer it with the proffered information:

Perhaps you should include the code used to create "audit" as well as
the results of str() on the data argument to design when audit was
created. I am guessing that "SEX" is not available inside the function
and that you should have written:

test <- function(Z){
            	chisq <- svychisq(~X + SEX, design=Z,
                                     statistic="adjWald", round=4)