[R] reshaping data

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri May 21 18:10:57 CEST 2010

Does the following do what you want, where my "txt" should
resemble the output of your test1, the output of
readLines("path/test")?

> txt <- c("red \t A,B,C", "green \t D", "blue \t E,F")
> f <- function (textLines) {
    tmp <- strsplit(textLines, " *\t *")
    letters <- strsplit(vapply(tmp, FUN = `[`, 2, FUN.VALUE = ""),
        ",")
    numLetters <- vapply(letters, FUN = length, FUN.VALUE = 0L)
    data.frame(Species = rep(vapply(tmp, FUN = `[`, 1, FUN.VALUE = ""),
        numLetters), Letter = unlist(letters))
}
> f(txt)
  Species Letter
1     red      A
2     red      B
3     red      C
4   green      D
5    blue      E
6    blue      F

vapply() is new in R 2.11.? and is like sapply but lets
you specify what the return value of FUN is expected to
be.  Thus it gives you some error checking, saves some
time over sapply, and works nicely when the length of the
input is 0.  If you don't have 2.11 replace with by sapply
and remove the FUN.VALUE argument.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com