[R] Relative Risk/Hazard Ratio plots for continuous variables

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue May 25 14:41:23 CEST 2010

On 05/25/2010 07:28 AM, Laura Bonnett wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using Windows and R 2.9.2 for my analyses.  I have a large dataset and
> I am particularly interested in looking at time to an event for a continuous
> variable.  I would like to produce a plot of log(relative risk) or relative
> risk (also known as hazard ratio) against the continuous variable.

Please use correct terminology.  A risk is a probability (except perhaps
in finance) whereas a hazard is a rate (instantaneous conditional risk).
  What you want is relative hazard.

> I have spent a long time looking for advice on how to do this but my search
> has proved fruitless - sorry if I've missed something obvious.  It seems
> that there are options such as muhaz, survfit, coxph and cph that may enable
> some plots to be produced but none that specifically look at the relative
> risk one.
>
> In addition to the survival analysis, I have incorporated the mfp function
> (from package mfp).
>
> I currently use code such as,
>
> library(mfp)
> library(Design)
>
> coxfit1<- coxph(Surv(rtime,rcens)~cts,data=data1)
> or
> coxfit2<-
> mfp(Surv(rtime,rcens)~fp(cts),family=cox,data=data1,select=0.05,verbose=TRUE)
>
> plot(coxfit1) nor plot(coxfit2) produce the relevant relative risk vs.
> continuous variable that I need.

Replace Design with the new rms package and see
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/Rrms

The plot you need is a basic one provided by rms (or its ancestor Design).

Frank

> Can anyone help?
>
> Thank you,
> Laura
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine