[R] xlim/ylim and actual axis length

Peter Neuhaus pneuhaus at pneuhaus.de
Wed May 26 13:49:20 CEST 2010

Dear plotting wizards,

when plotting in R, the actual lengths of the axes are slightly
greater than the ranges of the x/y variables or xlim/ylim values.

how do I control the amount by which the axes are enlarged? Is
there a way to enforce that the lengths of the axes equal
xlim/ylim?

example:

plot(0:100,0:100,pch="+")

it can be observed, that the x- and y-axis join at approx. (-4,-4)
and (104,104). If I want the axes to join at (0,0) and (100,100)
I have to cheat R into doing it by providing wrong xlim/ylim values:

plot(0:100,0:100,pch="+",xlim=c(4,96),ylim=c(4,96))

is there a proper way to control this? I've been reading through
the help for "par" but I still have no clue.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter