[R] error "variable names are limited to 256 bytes" when sourcing code

Brian Frizzelle bgf at email.unc.edu
Wed May 26 16:53:25 CEST 2010

I've written a function that takes some input data output from a
simulation model and creates some graphs. It's not very complicated
code, and it works perfectly fine if I just run the code as is.

But I have converted it into a function so we call it externally, and
when I try to source the code to test the function, I get the error
message "variable names are limited to 256 bytes". I've tried searching
online for a solution to this, but everything I have come across deals
with this error in relation to input data, not a function.

The code is 389 lines long, so I'd rather not paste it here and clog up
inboxes. If you have an idea as to why this is happening and would like
to see the code, please email me and I will send it to you.

Thanks in advance.

--

Brian Frizzelle
Spatial Analysis Services