[R] cluster analysis and supervised classification: an alternative to knn1?

abanero gdevitis at xtel.it
Wed May 26 15:45:26 CEST 2010

Hi,
I have a 1.000 observations with 10 attributes (of different types: numeric,
dicotomic, categorical  ecc..) and a measure M.

I need to cluster these observations in order to assign a new observation
(with the same 10 attributes but not the measure) to a cluster.

I want to calculate for the new observation a measure as the average of the
meausures M of the observations in the cluster assigned.

I would use cluster analysis ( “Clara” algorithm?) and then “knn1” (in
package class) to assign the new observation to a cluster.

The problem is: I’m not able to use “knn1” because some of attributes are
categorical.

Do you know  something like “knn1” that works with categorical variables
too? Do you have any suggestion?