[R] cluster analysis and supervised classification: an alternative to knn1?

abanero gdevitis at xtel.it
Thu May 27 13:25:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

thank you Joris and Ulrich for you answers.

Joris Meys wrote:

>see the library randomForest for example

I'm trying to find some example in randomForest with categorical variables
but I haven't found anything. Do you know any example with both categorical
and numerical variables? Anyway I don't have any class labels yet. How could
I  find clusters with randomForest?

Ulrich wrote:

>Probably the simplest way is Affinity Propagation[...] All you need is a
way of measuring the similarity of >samples which is straightforward both
for numerical and categorical variables.

I had a look at the documentation of the package apcluster. That's
interesting but do you have any example using it with both categorical and
numerical variables? I'd like to test it with a large dataset..

Thanks a lot!
Cheers

Giuseppe