[R] cluster analysis and supervised classification: an alternative to knn1?

abanero gdevitis at xtel.it
Thu May 27 16:28:01 CEST 2010

Ulrich wrote:
>Affinity propagation produces quite a number of clusters.

I tried with q=0 and produces 17 clusters. Anyway that's a good idea,
thanks. I'm looking to test it with my dataset.

So I'll probably use daisy() to compute an appropriate dissimilarity then
apcluster() or another method to determine clusters.

What do you suggest in order to assign a new observation to a determined
cluster?

 It seems that RandomForest doesn't work with both numerical and categorical
predictors (thanks to Joris).

Christian wrote:
>and the implement
>nearest neighbours classification myself if I needed it.
>It should be pretty straightforward to implement.

Do you intend modify the code of the knn1() function by yourself?

thanks to everyone!