[R] error on Windows OS

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 31 12:53:13 CEST 2010

M.Ribeiro wrote:
> I received by email an R package (file.tar.gz) that was created in Linux.
> The package was already installed in another computer in linux using
> install.packages and it worked
>
> I am not familiar with installing packages but I would like to install it on
> Windows
>
> I downloaded the Rtools29.exe and tryed to install using
>
> install.packages("foo.tar.gz", repos=NULL, type="source")
> but the message was
>
> Warning in install.packages("GR_1.0.tar.gz", repos = NULL, type = "source")
> :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using 'C:\Documents and Settings\mr\My
> Documents/R/win-library/2.9'

That's a funny name to use for the library for R 2.10.x, but it's not a
serious error.
> 'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

That's the one that stopped the install.  Apparently the Rtools bin
directory is not being found by Windows in your PATH.  The Rtools
installer can put it there; maybe you should just reinstall Rtools and
choose that option.
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("GR_1.0.tar.gz", repos = NULL, type = "source") :
>   installation of package 'GR_1.0.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status
>
> my questios are:
>
> Where shall I save the .tar.gz file??

That doesn't matter, as long as it's a readable directory.
> Do I need to do anything else with the Rtools besides installing
> (C:/Rtools)??

Set the Windows PATH variable.
> Is the problem with the way I did or with the package??

So far it looks like the Rtools install.

Duncan Murdoch