[R] Underline only colnames in grid.table

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 2 03:22:57 CET 2010

Hi

On 29/10/2010 7:55 p.m., robbert blonk wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to underline only the colnames in a table as e.g.
>
> grid.draw(tableGrob(head(iris, 10), name="test"))
>
> I can imagine you should use grid.edit or so, bu I can't figure out
> how...
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?

Unfortunately, grid.edit() won't help here because the table is all
drawn on-the-fly ; the only thing you can see is the overall table grob.

You can see the viewports that are used to draw the table, but the
downside there is that they do not have very useful names.

The following code draws the table, then looks into the viewport tree to
get the name of the 12th table viewport (which is the first viewport on
the second column), navigates down to that viewport, then draws a line
along the bottom.

grid.table(head(iris, 10), name="test")
downViewport(current.vpTree()$children[[1]]$children[[12]]$name)
grid.segments(0, 0, 1, 0)

Not a very general solution, but may provide a one-off workaround.

Is that what you meant?

Paul

--
Dr Paul Murrell