[R] density() function: differences with S-PLUS

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Nov 2 21:30:37 CET 2010

I needed to use the to= and from= arguments to get the same
set of x values in R and S+.  E.g.,
  z <- density(x=0, width=3, window="gaussian",
             n=2001, from=-10, to=10, cut=0.75)
gave identical x outputs in R and S+.  By using x=0
you can see the difference in the gaussian-based kernel
used by R and Splus:
  plot(z$x, z$y, pch=".", log="y")
Splus, as its help("density") states", uses a truncated
Gaussian kernel:
  "The "gaussian" window is truncated at 4
  standard deviations (and then scaled
  appropriately to adjust for the truncated
  area)."
R appears to not truncate the Gaussian kernel.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com