[R] Rd installation (not markup language) primer?

ivo welch ivo.welch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 23:28:06 CET 2010

I have a set of functions that I always load on startup.  for example,
there is my now infamous "is.defined()" function.

I would like to add some documentation for these functions, so that I can do a

   ?is.defined

inside R.  The documentation tells me how to mark up Rd files is very
good, but I wonder how one installs them for access by the R
executable (on OSX for me).  Do I drop them into a special directory?
Which ones are allowed?  Do I need to package everything into a
library, or can I just add Rd files for source'd files?  Do I parse
the Rd files for R, or does R parse the Rd files on demand?

so, is there a primer on installing Rd files?

/iaw
----
Ivo Welch (ivo.welch at brown.edu, ivo.welch at gmail.com)