[R] Problems with points in plots when importing from pdf to an SVG editor

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Thu Nov 4 16:02:47 CET 2010

Just read the help page :).
This is under "Note" in the ?pdf.

      On some systems the default plotting character ‘pch = 1’ is
      displayed in some PDF viewers incorrectly as a ‘"q"’ character.
      (These seem to be viewers based on the ‘poppler’ PDF rendering
      library). This may be due to incorrect or incomplete mapping of
      font names to those used by the system.  Adding the following
      lines to ‘~/.fonts.conf’ or ‘/etc/fonts/local.conf’ may circumvent
      this problem.

      <alias binding="same">
             <family>ZapfDingbats</family>
      </alias>

I've found that in my case, this happens when viewing a PDF
with that plotting character under old versions of Evince, but
not newer.

--Erik