[R] slow dget

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 07:02:47 CET 2010

dput/dget were not intended to save/restore large objects.  Understand
what is happening in the use of dput/dget.  dput is creating a text
file that can reconstitute the object with dget.  dget is having to
read the file in and then parse it:

> dget
function (file)
eval(parse(file = file))
<environment: namespace:base>

This can be a complex process if there object is large and complex.

save/load basically take the binary object and save it with little
additional processing and the load is just as fast.

In general, most of the functions can be used both correctly and
incorrectly.  So should a warning for every potential
condition/criteria be put in the help file?  Probably not.  It is hard
to protect the user against him/herself.

So what you are doing in seeing how long alternatives take is a good
learning tool and will help you improve your use of the features.