[R] help cannot put multiple chart Stacked Bar (from PerformanceAnalysis library) in a single plot

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:56:50 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM, patrick nguyen
<patrickqnguyen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> I'm having problems displaying multiple chart.StackedBar from
> PerformanceAnalysis library on a  single plot. I've tried using

I am assuming you mean the PerformanceAnalytics package, at least that
is what I will talk about.

> par(mfrow=c(2,1)) but that doesn't work.
>
> If I do it with barplot(), it works fine and I see both plots on a single plot.
>
>> plot(mfrow=c(2,1))
>> barplot(blahblah)
>> barplot(blahblah)

this works because barplot() just plots in the device opened by the
call to par() (well, what would have been the call to par())

> However if I try to use chart.StackedBar, the second entry appears to just
> overwrite the window.
>
>> plot(mfrow=c(2,1))
>> chart.StackedBar(blahblah,date.format="%H:%M:%S",las=2,
>>colorset=rainbow12equal)
>> chart.StackedBar(blahblah,date.format="%H:%M:%S",las=2,
>>colorset=rainbow12equal)

The issue here is that chart.StackedBar calls par() itself, so it is
overriding your settings.  This will not be terribly easy to change.
My guess is that you would have to alter the function itself.
However, if you simple delete/comment its par call, there will likely
be clipping issues with the fancy legend that it seems to add.

If you provide data and exactly what it is you want (so for instance I
know whether chart.StackedBar is being dispatched to the .xts or
.matrix side) I might edit the function for you.  Alternately you
could just live with them separate and merge them in your paper or
presentation or whatever.  Just use the xlim and ylim arguments so
they are on the same scale.

Cheers,

Josh

> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
>
> -patrick

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles