[R] sem: variance explained

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Nov 10 17:28:13 CET 2010

Dear James,

Model-implied variances and covariances of the non-error variables (observed
and latent) are given by (I - A)^-1 P [(I - A)^-1]', where the A and P
matrices are from the RAM formulation of the model, and are in the object
returned by sem(), and I is an identity matrix. Your model presumably
includes estimated error variances for the endogenous variables in the
model. Subtract these from the variances to get "variance explained."

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster