[R] unexpected behaviour of rbind with dataframe containing POSIXct

Alexander Senger senger at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 12 18:57:06 CET 2010

Hello list,

here is what I stumbled upon:

1> test <- data.frame(time=as.POSIXct((1:2),origin="2000-1-1"))
1> test
                 time
1 2000-01-01 00:00:01
2 2000-01-01 00:00:02
1> rbind(test,b=1:2)
Fehler in as.POSIXct.numeric(value) : 'origin' muss angegeben werden

When I try to attach an additional row to a dataframe with a row
containing dates I get the error shown above (which says that there was
an error in "as.POSIXct.numeric(value)": an 'origin' has to be given).

I haven't found any information on this so I would like to know whether
this is to be regarded as a bug and be properly reported.

This is my sessionInfo:

1> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=de_DE.utf8        LC_COLLATE=de_DE.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=de_DE.utf8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.10.1

I'm aware that my version is somewhat outdated but it seems not much has
changed with rbind() since then. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for your attention

Alex