[R] comparing levels of aggregation with negative binomial models

Ben Raymond Ben.Raymond at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 11:32:33 CET 2010

Dear R community,

I would like to compare the degree of aggregation (or dispersion) of
bacteria isolated from plant material.  My data are discrete counts
from leaf washes.  While I do have xy coordinates for each plant, it
is aggregation in the sense of the concentration of bacteria in high
density patches that I am interested in.
My attempt to analyze this was to fit negative binomial glms to each
of my leaf treatments (using MASS) and to compare estimates of theta
and use the standard errors to calculate confidence limits.   My
values of theta (se) were 0.387 (0.058) and 0.1035 (0.015) which were
in the right direction for my hypothesis.  However, some of the stats
literature suggests that the confidence intervals of theta (or k) are
not very robust and it would be better to calculate confidence
intervals for 1/k.  Is there a way I can estimate confidence intervals
for 1/k in R, or indeed a more elegant way of looking at aggregation?

Many thanks for your time.

yours,

Dr Ben Raymond,
NERC Advanced Research Fellow,