[R] problem with PDF/postcript, cannot change paper size: "‘mode(width)’ and ‘mode(height)’ differ between new and previous"

Emmanuel Levy emmanuel.levy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:17:13 CET 2010

Hi,

The pdf function would not let me change the paper size and gives me
the following warning:

pdf("figure.pdf", width="6", height="10")
Warning message:
‘mode(width)’ and ‘mode(height)’ differ between new and previous
	 ==> NOT changing ‘width’ & ‘height’

If I use the option   paper = "a4r",   it does not give me a warning
but still prints on a square region (it does not use the entire page).

Two days ago I updated R and associated packages. I'm not sure if this
could be the cause? Even if I restart a new session I keep getting the
same error.  I also tried X11.options(reset=TRUE) and it does not
help.

Thanks for any hint you could give me, this is really annoying (the
function postscript gives the same error so I cannot make any
figure!).
all the best,

Emmanuel

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_CA.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages: