[R] How do I get "total inertia"+"R-squared" in R?

Hedberg Peter phedberg at biol.uw.edu.pl
Wed Nov 17 12:30:01 CET 2010

Dear people at the R-help-list.
I have run into a problem in the package "vegan", while using the function "vegan",
and would greatly appreciate any advice how to solve the problem.

I have put in my data R, using the "decorana" function in the package "vegan" and received nice coordinates for the DCA of sites and species, as well as the Eigenvalues for the four axes.

My problem is that I can not figure out how to get the "Total inertia", or the "R-squared" value. I thought that I could solve this problem by using the "goodness" function, but then receives the message

"Error in UseMethod("goodness") :
  no applicable method for 'goodness' applied to an object of class "summary.decorana"

The same message happened when a decorana class object was tried.

Is there a way to get the R-squared and/or the Total Inertia values for a DCA using decorana, vegan or any other method in R.

Best regards,

Petter Hedberg

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net