[R] general question on R setup/environment

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Nov 17 16:25:40 CET 2010

On 17.11.2010 10:11, Bernd Jagla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone recently told me that  R is not working well with other programs in
> a clustered environment.

Why not, was is the problem supposed to be?

 > I believe we are using gensoft and working in a
> redhat environment. What was also mentioned was that there are problems when
> running multiple R instance at the same time.

This is new to the developers, as far as I know.

> Personally I haven't experienced any of the described difficulties but would
> like to get your feedback and potentially some documentation on how to set
> up R in a server and cluster environment...
>
> What would be also of interest is to get to know how people have set up
> their servers. Are people installing R on an individual basis or as one
> resource for everyone?

Depends on the setup. I like 1 installation for everybody and everybody
can add packages in private libraries.

> I know that there are occasionally some issues with versions such that
> potentially many versions have to live at the same time. Could this cause
> any problems?

No.

> As far as I know any packages can be installed on an individual bases as
> well as centralized so this shouldn't cause any problem, or is there
> potential for problems?

No, unless packages for different versions are mixed up or so, but if
you install into clearly separated libraries, everything should be fine.

Best,
Uwe Ligges