[R] help on IDE

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:30:33 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Partha Sinha <pnsinha68 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new comer in R.There r few IDE like Tinn R,VIM etc.I mean How to
> use them? Do I need to install R and then install them to use or they
> can work alone? Also does one install packages on R or IDEs? Can I
> call/use the package from IDEs?

Although the experts would suggest Emacs + ESS while I prefer Geany,
for a novice I would suggest installing JGR + Deducer or, perhaps,
RKward and SciViews-K. Not an IDE, but Rcmdr and latticist may prove
helpful to learn R. After you install R, issue
install.packages('Deducer', dep=TRUE)

to install JGR (for Windows you have to additionally download a binary
from its site). Then launching JGR will launch R. It has graphical
facilities to install and load packages. From JGR, its console or
editor, you can easily launch scripts or commands for execution in R.
Deducer offers some nifty functionality, such as a Data viewer.

For a complete beginner I would also suggest 'Some hints for the R beginner'
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/hints_R_begin.html

Regards
Liviu