[R] Problem with nlme package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 22:48:32 CET 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Joanna Geller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed the nlme package, but every time I try to use the
> function "summary.lme,"

How did you "try to use it"?

> I get a message that the function cannot be
> found.

If it says it cannot be found, then you quite possibly forgot to load
the "lme4" package. Try:

require(lme4)

If you have an object "obj1" of class "lme" then typing:

  summary(obj1)

will be dispatched by the R interpreter to apply the summary.lme
function to that object. Functions like summary() are called
"generic". They are really underneath the hood actually a collection
of functions. For summary you can see the ones that are currently
loaded by typing:

  methods(summary)

> I've tried to install the package several times and have
> re-started R several times, but to no avail. I have also loaded the
> lme4 package, in case that makes a difference. I'm using R on a brand
> new Mac.
>
> Thank you!

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT