[R] Looking up the directory a file is located in

Cliff Clive cliffclive at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:08:38 CET 2010

Hello everyone,

This should be an easy question, I think.

I'd like to write a command in a program to set the working directory to
whatever directory the file is currently stored in.  Suppose I have a file
called "myRscript.r", and it's stored in "C:\Rprojects\myRscript.r", and it
references other R scripts and data files in the same directory.

If I enter the command

> setwd("C:/Rprojects")

I can then access all the files I need without typing the path.

But suppose I want to move all of those files into another folder, say,
"C:\NewFolder".  And suppose I might do this fairly often, or make copies of
the script in several folders.  Is there a command that looks something like
this:

> setwd( <look up current directory> )

that will work no matter where I move my project, without having to go in
and re-type the new directory path?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff