[R] ncdf4 for Windows/R-2.12.0

David Pierce dpierce at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 18 00:24:04 CET 2010

David Winsemius wrote:

>> Windows binary:	not available, see ReadMe
>
> Sorry. Then in answer to your second question:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html
>
> Especially:
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-Windows-toolset
>
> (At least as I read the traffic on rhelp. Never built from source on
> Windows.)

The "ncdf4" package is an interface to the netcdf library, version 4. So,
it would need an existing MS Windows version of the netcdf version 4
library to interface *to*.  That library, in turn, requires a MS Windows
version of the hdf5 library. As far as I know, neither the netcdf version
4 library nor the hdf version 5 libraries are available for MS Windows.
So, getting R package ncdf4 for windows would be pointless, since the
underlying libraries it relies on are not available.

If anyone knows of a MS Windows binary for the netcdf (version 4) and hdf
(version 5) libraries, email me, and I'll put together a R ncdf4 package
for MS Windows.

Regards,

--Dave

David W. Pierce
Division of Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
(858) 534-8276 (voice)  /  (858) 534-8561 (fax)    dpierce at ucsd.edu