[R] how exactly does 'identify' work?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:02:31 CET 2010

On 18/11/2010 1:50 PM, casperyc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the problem is
>
> 1 - when a linear model is fitted, ploting the qqnorm( test.lm$ res )
> we dont 'know' what values are actually being used on the y-axis; and
> how do we refer to the ‘Index’ on the x-axis??
>       therefore, i dont know how to refer to the x and y coordinates in the
> identify function

You could look at qqnorm.default to figure those things out, but it is
probably difficult to do.  You'd be better off using locator() to find
the coordinates of a mouse click, and plotting the label using text().

For a simple example,

x <- rnorm(100, mean=10, sd=2)
qqnorm(x)
repeat {
   pt <- locator(1)
   if (!length(pt$x)) break
   text(pt, labels=which.min( abs(x - pt$y) ) )
}

Duncan Murdoch