[R] a philosophy R question

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sun Nov 21 03:44:59 CET 2010

Wikipedia:  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language):  R
is a programming language and software environment for statistical
computing and graphics.

"www.r-project.org" -> "What Is R?":  R is a language and environment
for statistical computing and graphics.

       I've routinely described it as "an object oriented programming
language for statistics."  It's also a social movement to empower people
world wide to ask quantitative questions and do their own statistical
analysis, without benefit of expensive software, etc.  CRAN, R-Forge,
this email list, are all part of the social movement.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer