[R] compare GLM coefficients

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 07:55:58 CET 2010

Hello Kayce,

My (very basic) understanding is that you can't directly compare the
coefficients across models that have different response variables, nor
could you use AIC and similar metrics of model goodness of fit.
Instead, I think you have to carefully define what you mean by "reveal
similar population trends".

If you treat the model with the count response as your reference, and
it predicts (for example) population decline of magnitude X over
period T, then you can investigate to what extent this same trend is
retrieved by the presence response model. But the specifics of the
comparison(s) should be closely tied to the population behaviours /
syndromes / critical points that you are most interested in. If there
are multiple behaviours of interest you want to know to what extent
the presence data perform as well as the count data for each of them.

That's my general take on the style of the approach. Hopefully others
here will have more detailed and knowledgable comments for you.

Michael