[R] how to make R overlook string character

mariaseg mariaseg at qut.edu.au
Wed Nov 24 05:24:16 CET 2010

I am really new to R and would appreciate some help to sort out a problem
with data extraction from a large file.

I have entered the following command to filter data from a large data set
called "upanddown" such that those records in upanddown corresponding to
blockType=3'UTR are transferred to a new file called "new":

new<-sqldf("select * from upanddown where blockType IN('3'ext') ")

The problem is that when R encounters the ' symbol after 3 it gets confused.
What I would like to know is how I can make R overlook the ' symbol after 3
to make it recognise 3'UTR as one search string?

If instead I had new2<-sqldf("select * from upanddown where blockType
IN('exon') ") then it works like a charm since there are no confusing
symbols in search string "exon".

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards
Max
QUT/ Australia

p.s I would be grateful for any suggestions for data filtering in R