[R] Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Nov 29 04:33:12 CET 2010

Hi, Stephen:

       What operating system do you have?  From the path you cite, I
assume you are using some version of Windows.

       Wikipedia on "perl" says there are two primary version of perl
for Windows"  Strawberry perl, which is free, open source, and
ActivePerl, which is free but not open source.  I've been using
Strawberry perl without any apparent problems due to the version.  When
I removed "~Rtools/perl" from my path, it still had Strawberry perl, and
'installXLSXsupport()' worked with my installation of Strawberry perl,
when it had not worked with "~Rtools/perl".  You can download Strawberry
perl from "http://strawberryperl.com".  However,
RSiteSearch('strawberry perl') produced 0 matches, while
RSiteSearch("ActivePerl") returned 2 matches and RSiteSearch("Active
Perl") found 10 matches.

        After downloading and installing one of these, if
'installXLSXsupport()' still does not work, you need to check the path:
If 'installXLSXsupport()' does not work with Strawberry perl as the
first perl in your path, then you may need to install an appropriate
package from CPAN.  More than that, I cannot answer.  However, if you
download and install one of these two versions of perl and still have
the problem, please report what you've done and they symptoms you get to
this list.  Also, please include "sessionInfo()" with your reply.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD