[R] Evaluation of survival analysis

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:10:09 CET 2010

________________________________
> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:28:32 +0100
> Subject: [R] Evaluation of survival analysis
> From: hzshasha at googlemail.com
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com; r-help at r-project.org

Thanks, if I get a chance I'll take a look but I'm quite busy
now, just cleaning out my hotmail. I guess I would start
asking questions here however, if you have lots of
putatitive prognostic data and anything resemlbing a
guess or equation on what response surfaces look like that
may be worth some thought.
Coxph of course makes sense if you really expect to have
proportional hazards as opposed to some other effect. I think
the example I gave before was a literal survival analysis on
a 2 groups of patients with a well understood disease:
all the control samples event at t1 creating a step survival
curve. What kinds of things could a treatment do to this
that are well modlled with proportional hazards?  etc etc

> For the 2nd task, i wanted to use the chosen variables to predict the
> lifespan. "predict(survreg())" can get the values.
> I attached parts of the results which are the residuals plot and
> predcited values vs. predictors derived from both Cox regression and
> parametric survival.

Did you attach your raw data at any time?

> My problem: 1) not sure if the methods are correct for the tasks since
> the residuals plots are not totally randomly and the predicted hazard
> is less than 0. 2) i dont know how to explain the fitness of the
> model.

In literal survival analysis , bringing people back from the dead is considered
a good thing :) The point of course your second question would often
be answered as, " the computer made a p-value, end of story" is often
the answer. Personally I consider goodness of fit as it relates
to a causal model: the fit is good if it helps you understand causality.