[R] reference text variables as column name to plot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 17:49:49 CET 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Graves, Gregory wrote:

> Having given myself carpal tunnel looking for answer to this ...
>

> I have a dataset

Named.... what?

> each column of which has 12 rows in it.  I created a
> variable 'z' as follows:
>

> z=1:24  s

Why did you put twice as many elements in z as there are in a column?

> Since I have a large number of these plots to make, and they are a bit
> complex, I want to want to reference the column I want to plot via a
> variable containing the name of that column.  As follows:
>

> similar='1978'
>
> s=paste('Y',similar,sep='')
>

> variable s now contains 'Y1978' which is the name of one of the
> columns.
>

> However, when I try to plot
>

> plot(z,s,type='l')

Try this ... assuming that there really are 12 item length columns in
a dataframe named, dfm.

plot(1:12, dfm[[s]], type="l")

dataframes are lists that can be accessed by the names of columns
which are interpreted. Don't assume that you can get such
interpretation with the $ operator.

> I get a 'x and y lengths differ' error because variable s is being
> recognized as 'Y1978' length=1, rather than the contents of the column
> Y1978 length=12.
>
> I tried all the usual tricks I know like &s.

Huh? "&" is a logical operator.