[R] Interpreting the example given by Frank Harrell in the predict.lrm {Design} help

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Oct 1 21:36:38 CEST 2010

I have this discussion fairly often with doctors that I work with.  The issue is that you can certainly predict from a model, but you can predict on different scales.  Let's consider the simpler case of just 2 outcomes (disease yes/no):

Let's say you have 4 patients that you want to predict their disease status using their symptoms and a model, on the probability scale patient A is predicted to have 5% chance of yes, patient B is 49%, patient C is 51% and patient D is 95% probability of yes.  If we collapse this to just a prediction of yes/no then that means that we will treat A and B the same with a prediction of NO and patients C and D the same with a prediction of YES.  But does it really make sense to treat B and C so differently (they are only 2 percentage points different) while treating them the same as A or D?

If I were one of the patients I would want to know whether my probability of disease was 51% or 95%, not just a yes.

With 3 groups wouldn't you want to know the difference between 33%, 33%, 34% and 2%, 8%, 90%?

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org