[R] How many R packages are not free?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 2 19:51:14 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 10:38:22AM -0700, Spencer Graves wrote:
>        Is there anything on CRAN that is NOT free?

Lots.

Also notice that 'free' means more than redistribution.

> I assumed that CRAN had a policy of not accepting anything that could not be freely

That's the trouble with assumptions.

> distributed, but I could not find any such statement in a quick search.
> The code by Uwe identified 52 packages with "file LICENCE" or "file
> LICENSE", plus others with combinations of something like GPL with "file
> LICENCE" or "file LICENSE".

Take

   http://debian.cran.r-project.org/banned_packages.html

as a first start. It;s out of date as cran2deb is being rebuilt but
there are all sorts of nastinesses.  Some UW packages (mclust et al)
have non-free licenses that are academic-only (and hence discriminate
on use making them non-free). KU Leuven in Belgium and CSIRO in
Australia prohibit commercial use ...  Lots of bad examples.

But given a universe of 2500+ packages, not entirely surprising that some differ.

(The web page comingles unsuitable licenses with other reasons for not
building packages such as dependency of external libraries or BioC.)

Dirk