[R] R data opening problem

Jeffrey Spies jspies at virginia.edu
Sun Oct 3 04:35:36 CEST 2010

If I understand your problem correctly, I think you need to be doing:

summary(data.name)

The functions read.dta and read.spss both return things (data frames,
if you use the to.data.frame=T argument with read.spss).  So whatever
variable you set is what you should be doing a summary on.  In this
case, you are setting data.name to be the data frame returned by
read.dta:

data.name <- read.dta(file.choose())

If you'd rather, you could use:

kelleya <- read.dta(file.choose())